How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat
Choosing the Right Yoga Mat: Factors to Consider for Optimal Comfort and Support
Starting a fitness regime or a long-time health enthusiast? As people have started taking their health & fitness seriously post-pandemic, we see them buy a random yoga mat without realizing or to be true, without being able to judge the best suitable yoga mat for their needs. Selecting the right & best yoga mat is essential for your comfort, stability & practice & choosing amongst a plethora of the best yoga mats available in the market is a challenging task which is why we are here to make it easy peasy for you.
Whether for yoga, pilates, strength training, or basic workouts – there’s a yoga mat for every need. Understanding the major criteria to differentiate the mats based on your needs is where we come to your rescue. So, shall we unwind?
- Material & Durability: Fitness mats or so-called yoga mats range from inexpensive PVC to currently trending eco-friendly and organic choices. Look out for the best yoga mat that is durable and will withstand regular use. Check reviews or seek recommendations to ensure that the yoga mat can withstand wear and tear and maintain its quality over time. However, a relatively better choice is the TPE blend which will not only provide the right texture, traction & comfort while working out but also be long-lasting. There’s a fitness mat to suit every whim – from smooth to outright rough. Choose yours wisely.
- Texture and Grip: A yoga mat's texture and grip significantly prevent slips and ensure stability during your practice. Look for the best yoga mats with a textured or non-slip surface that offers good traction, even when your hands or feet become sweaty. Opt for yoga mats with a "sticky" feel or those that use innovative technologies to enhance grip.
- Thickness & Weight: Wherever you practice, a proper & best yoga mat to avoid injuries & frustration is a must. Depending on the type & place of practice, the thickness of a yoga mat has a lot to contribute. Yoga mats come in various thicknesses, typically ranging from 1/16 inch to 1/4 inch. Thicker mats provide more cushioning and are suitable for people who prefer extra support or have sensitive joints. Thinner yoga mats offer a firmer and more stable base, which is preferred by those who prioritize balance and connection with the floor. Not sure of the choice? Then go for a standard thickness yoga mat of 5-6mm with an easily carry able weight of about 1-1 kg. Yoga mats are normally lightweight, weighting between& easier to carry as most of them come with carry straps or bags for storage.
- Price: Just because a yoga mat is more expensive doesn’t mean that it is the best yoga mat. However, the cost of a mat is directly proportional to its material and so you need to decide the material & purpose of buying the best yoga mat beforehand. They range anywhere between Rs. 200-2500/- and are available on many online platforms & in-store as well. But do remember that investing in a high-quality yoga mat can enhance your practice and provide long-term value.
- Fitness level & style: Once you have narrowed down your choice based on the above aspects, there’s only one factor remaining, which is your fitness level. For a beginner, the grip & thickness of the mat will matter a lot. A medium-intensity training will need a better quality mat to sustain the long workout hours. When you have moved to a more advanced level, you can hunt for a thinner yet best quality yoga mat that can resist the heavy sweaty sessions. Ultimately choose a yoga mat that aligns with your personal preferences.
Now that you have grasped all the factors, take all that you need and shop for the perfectly fit & best yoga mat that supports your fitness journey!!